LACK OF MEDICAL EXPERTISE IN MUSLIM COUNTRIES
ATTACKERS TARGET AFGHANISTAN HEALTH CENTERS 240 TIMES IN TWO YEARS
BY LUCY WESTCOTT
Medical facilities in Afghanistan endured more than 240 attacks by
armed groups in 2015 and 2016, resulting in extensive damage to
equipment and buildings, deaths of staff members and patients and a
worsening situation for the health of the country's children.
Detailed in a report released Monday by Watchlist on Children and Armed
Conflict, the attacks were mainly carried out by the Taliban and other
anti-government groups. However, the Afghan National Defense and
Security Forces (ANDSF) also carried out more than 35 attacks, the
group said, adding that it wants U.N. Secretary General António
Guterres to list the ANDSF as “one of the parties responsible for the
The report focuses on four provinces: Kunduz, Nangarhar, Helmand and
Maidan Wardak. As of November 2016, more than 30 percent of Afghanistan
did not have access to health care, according to the country’s Ministry
of Public Health.
Violent attacks on medical facilities are making worse the dire state
of health care in Afghanistan, according to the report. Nearly five
million people in the country are in “critical need of health care,”
including more than a million children suffering from acute
malnutrition—a 40 percent increase since January 2015. Measles rates
have increased by 141 percent, and child casualties rose by 24 percent
between 2015 and 2016, according to the U.N. Assistance Mission in
Afghanistan (UNAMA). Among children, deaths from preventable
diarrhea-related diseases and polio have also increased, the report
“Targeted attacks on medical facilities have decimated Afghanistan’s
fragile health system, preventing many civilians from accessing
life-saving care,” Christine Monaghan, research officer at Watchlist
and author of the report, said in a statement on Monday. “Children
suffer as a result—we are seeing more deaths, injuries and the spread
The report also includes details of the October 2015 attack by U.S.
forces on a hospital in Kunduz, run by Medecins Sans Frontieres
(Doctors Without Borders). Following an investigation, the U.S.
military called the hospital strike, which killed 30 people, a “tragic
The group is calling on all parties—including Afghan and international
forces—to stop attacks on medical facilities and personnel.
Hamas boasted it could hit Tel Aviv area while its own PM’s granddaughter was in hospital there
Schneider Children’s Hospital in Petah Tikva,
which treats 200 Palestinian children each year, has had to take
security precautions against rocket attacks
BY ELHANAN MILLER
November 19, 2013
The Times of Israel
At the very moment the baby granddaughter of
Hamas’s Gaza Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh was being treated for a
critical illness at Schneider Children’s Hospital near Tel Aviv Monday,
a Hamas official boasted that his movement’s rockets could hit targets
in Israel “past Tel Aviv.
Speaking to Hamas daily Al-Resalah, Gaza-based
official Salah Bardawil said that Hamas has improved its rocket
capabilities since Operation Pillar of Defense last year, and is now
able to hit targets beyond Israel’s commercial and cultural hub.
“The resistance now has various military
surprises in addition to newly acquired expertise,” Bardawil said.
“[Hamas] has improved its performance.”
During Operation Cast Lead in November 2012,
Israel destroyed most of Hamas’s Fajr-5 rockets, obtained from Iran and
able to reach a distance of 75 kilometers (46 miles), covering the
greater Tel Aviv area. However, Hamas has been developing locally made
M-75 rockets with a similar range, one of which landed south of
Jerusalem on the third day of the military operation. Over 1,500
projectiles were launched into Israel from Gaza over the course of the
eight-day military operation.
Like other Israeli hospitals in the greater Tel
Aviv area, Schneider Children’s Hospital, where Aamal Haniyeh was
admitted on Sunday with severe inflammation of the gastrointestinal
system, has been forced to take precautions against rocket attacks
emanating from Gaza.
Over the past few years, the hospital has
reinforced its glass windows against shattering and secured an oxygen
supply to the basement in case of emergency patient evacuation,
hospital spokeswoman Riva Shaked told The Times of Israel Tuesday.
Two hundred Palestinian children are treated at
Schneider Hospital every year on average, and 70 percent of them reside
in Gaza, Shaked added.
“The Palestinian Authority pays the bill for their treatment,” she said.
Following the news of the treatment in Israel of
Aamal Haniyeh, an Israeli government spokesman on Tuesday pointed out
“Ismail Haniyeh did not hesitate to send his
granddaughter to an Israeli hospital to save her life, all the while
expressing his commitment to killing Israelis,” tweeted Ofir Gendelman,
a spokesman to the Arab media for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
“This hypocrisy indicates [Hamas's] savagery.”
Israel has increasingly been serving as an
outlet for patients from Gaza since Egypt tightened its closure of the
Rafah Border Crossing in July. Egypt now opens the border to civilian
traffic only rarely and arbitrarily.
According to Physicians for Human Rights-Israel,
395 Palestinian patients were admitted to Israeli hospitals from Gaza
for medical treatment in September, the highest number allowed in since
January 2011. An additional 593 patients from Gaza were admitted to
Palestinian hospitals is east Jerusalem. No data exists yet for October
Fadel Al-Mzaini, a medical researcher at Gaza’s
Palestinian Center for Human Rights, said the number of patients Israel
allows to enter is still far lower than the need of the Strip’s
population of 1.7 million.
“They [Israel] have indeed made it easier at the
Erez Crossing [between Gaza and Israel], but they only allow in
patients who are very seriously ill,” Al-Mzaini told The Times of
Israel. “They only allow in 20-25 patients a day and close the crossing
on weekends and Jewish holidays.”
On Sunday, the Israeli Coordinator of Government
Activities in the Territories, known as COGAT, received a phone call
from the Palestinian Authority’s liaison office in Gaza requesting to
admit Aamal Haniyeh, 1, to an Israeli hospital, after her medical
condition deteriorated. The baby was immediately transferred to Israel,
accompanied by her maternal grandmother, and admitted to Schneider
“She was brought into Israel, but returned to
Gaza after her condition could not be stabilized. She is in critical
condition,” Major Guy Inbar, a spokesman for COGAT, told The Times of
Last month, Prime Minister Haniyeh called for a
popular uprising in the West Bank and lauded recent terror attacks on
the second anniversary of the release of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit,
who was kidnapped by Hamas in 2006.
No mention of the hospitalization was made on Hamas’s official media outlets.
Algeria's Bouteflika in Paris after 'having mini-stroke'
President Abdelaziz Bouteflika has been flown to hospital in Paris
after suffering a mini-stroke, the state news agency has said.
28 April 2013
Mr Bouteflika, 76,
had a "transient ischemia" - a temporary blockage of a blood vessel
often called a mini-stroke - an official told the APS news agency.
Doctors said on Sunday that he was "progressing well" and the damage was "not irreversible".
Mr Bouteflika is being treated at the Val de Grace military hospital.
It is commonly used by high-profile patients from France and beyond.
doctor, Rachid Bougherbal, said: "The transient ischemic attack did not
last long and the condition is reversible. His state of health is
Dr Bougherbal said Mr Bouteflika had "complete balance" and was "recovering some of the fatigue caused by the ailment".
Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal echoed Dr Bougherbal's assurances that there was no need for concern.
Mr Bouteflika, who makes few public appearances, underwent surgery in hospital in Paris several years ago.
Officially the problem was a stomach ulcer, but a leaked US diplomatic cable suggested he had cancer.
In spite of his age
and apparently failing health, there are still those who believe Mr
Bouteflika could stand for a fourth term in office in elections
scheduled for next year.
He is part of an
ageing leadership which has dominated Algerian politics since the
country gained independence from France more than 50 years ago.
Saudi Arabia: King Has Surgery
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: November 24, 2010
King Abdullah successfully underwent
back surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital, according to a palace
statement on Wednesday. Abdullah, 86, flew to New York for medical
treatment on Tuesday with a slipped disk and a blood clot pressing on
the nerves in his back. He temporarily handed control of the kingdom to
his half brother, Crown Prince Sultan. The king had “back surgery, in
which the blood clot was extracted, the slipped disk was corrected, and
the injured vertebrae was stabilized,” the Saudi Press Agency quoted
the statement as saying.
Saudi royals shot in arm for home of Mayo Clinic
November 17, 2008
ROCHESTER, Minn. (AP) — Rochester
officials say members of Saudi Arabia's royal family spent enough
during a visit to the Mayo Clinic to give the area's economy a shot in
City officials say Saudi Arabian King
Abdullah bin Abdulaziz arrived in the Minnesota city on Nov. 15 for a
checkup at the Mayo Clinic and was accompanied by at least five princes
and hundreds of others.
The king left Wednesday, but some members of his group remain in Rochester.
Rochester Convention and Visitors
Bureau executive director Brad Jones says a conservative estimate of
the royal family's spending is up to $1.5 million.
Officials say that should offset the area's economic woes. Jones calls that a "great shot in the arm."
Formerly conjoined Egyptian twins happy and back in U.S.
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Tuesday, October 9th 2007
DALLAS — When they were born, conjoined twins Mohamed and Ahmed Ibrahim
were happy regardless of being attached at the head. Now, four years
after their separation, the smiles have not left their faces.
The 6-year-old Egyptian boys have returned to Dallas, where they were
separated in October 2003, to be evaluated to see how their brains have
"These boys to me represent the culmination of a very long journey,
where they are arriving at what we all envisioned would be a
possibility, but it turns out to be a reality," said Dr. Kenneth
Salyer, chairman and founder of the nonprofit World Craniofacial
Foundation, which brought the boys across the Atlantic for evaluation
"But just from looking at these boys, I'm very pleased with how they've done," Salyer said. "They've made tremendous progress."
The pair have been accompanied by their mother, Sabah Abu el-Wafa. Their father and two older siblings remained in Egypt.
While in Dallas, they appeared at a fundraiser for the World
Craniofacial Foundation along with another set of conjoined twins. They
will also make a trip to Arizona for an MRI.
The surgery to separate them in 2003 took 34-hours and required them to
stay in Dallas for another two years in order for their skulls to be
reconstructed. They returned to Egypt in November 2005.
Extremist cleric to return for free heart operation
10/08/05 - News section
Hate preacher Omar Bakri Mohammed may undergo heart surgery in an NHS hospital if he returns to the UK.
Bakri, who says he has a congenital heart problem, has already missed
several appointments or had them postponed, friends said, but another
one is likely to be scheduled before the end of the year.
The so-called "Tottenham Ayatollah" is currently in Lebanon but says he plans to return to the UK in a month's time.
That would allow him to have a free operation which would otherwise cost thousands of pounds privately.
Bakri's health problem is understood to involve the narrowing of
arteries in his heart and the likeliest operation is an angioplasty.
More than 20,000 of the operations are carried out by doctors in the UK every year.
His condition is believed to be exacerbated by his weight.
Friends say that, because he is missing a bone in his ankle, he is
unable to exercise and that has contributed to the narrowing of his
Earlier this year the father-of-seven, who uses a walking stick, took
delivery of a £30,000 Ford Galaxy people carrier paid for under the
He is estimated to have received several hundred thousand pounds in benefits during his two decades in the UK.
It is not clear which hospital Bakri would have his treatment at and hospitals refused to discuss confidential patient details.
But Anjem Choudary, another leading figure in the al-Muhajiroun
movement, said: "He had an appointment for a heart operation at some
point. I'm not sure exactly when.
"He had appointments before but he missed them - he doesn't like to take medicine, he likes to recover naturally.
"He has a congenital problem he has had the whole of his life. It's a
problem with his arteries but I'm not a doctor so I don't know exactly."
Bakri, who had his mobile phone turned off today, sparked outrage last
week by saying he would not inform police if he knew Muslim extremists
were planning a bomb attack in Britain.
He left for Beirut amid suggestions that he could be tried for treason
but the Government has since made clear there is no prospect of that.
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott admitted there was nothing to stop
the firebrand cleric coming and going at the moment from the UK.
But a review of the Home Secretary's powers to exclude people who
promote terrorism could be complete by the time Bakri heads home,
allowing him to be barred.
Tory leader Michael Howard argued that present powers were already
sufficient to keep Bakri out and he called on the Government to use
those powers "without delay".
"The Home Secretary has the power to exclude from this country people
whose presence here is not conducive to the public good," he said.
WHY WAS MUSLIM CLERIC TAKEN TO LONDON?
WHY WAS MUSLIM CLERIC TAKEN TO LONDON?
WHY WAS THE PALESTINIAN TAKEN TO ISRAEL?
WHY WAS THE PALESTINIAN TAKEN TO ISRAEL?
WHY WAS ARAFAT TAKEN TO FRANCE?
WHY WAS ARAFAT TAKEN TO FRANCE?
WORD FAITH INDEX
CATHOLIC CHURCH INDEX