Renaming of Commerce to Nauvoo - 1840
It is known that these people, since their dispersion in Missouri, have collected in great numbers in and around Commerce in this state, on the Mississippi river. The name of Commerce, as we have heretofore stated, they have changed to Nauvoo, from the Hebrew or Egyptian, though of the signification of the term we are ignorant. They hold two great conferences every year, -- in the spring and fall; and that appointed for the present spring took place last week, commencing on the 6th, and ending on the 9th of April. We learn that between 2000 and 3000 persons were present, and that considerable accessions were made to the church from the surrounding neighborhood. Our informant states that the number was 74, all received by baptism, and that at the same time thirty of the ablest men were ordained to p[r]each the gospel.
The preachers present were Joseph and Hiram Smith, John Page, Orson Hyde, and two others. Messrs. Page and Hyde, with ten others, (probably chosen elsewhere), were commissioned to go to the Holy Land to preach the gospel to the Jews. They are to meet in Quincy next Sabbath, and from thence take their departure for Palestine.
About 300 houses have been put up in Nauvoo since last October. Some of them are neat frame buildings, but the greater portion are log cabins, designated for temporary habitations merely. The ground assigned to each is generally one acre, though to some there are five acres.
The increase of population by immigration is very great. Our informant states that several families arrive every day. A gentleman living on the road from Quincy to Nauvoo assured him that on some days at least 15 families passed his house, all bound to the latter place . -- Peoria Register.
WORD FAITH INDEX
CATHOLIC CHURCH INDEX